Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 11 and Corinthians 14:1-25


Jeremiah 11 – A curse lies over the heads of those who do not observe the terms of God’s covenant, the Lord says to Jeremiah.  “Urgently and constantly I warned your fathers to obey my voice, from the day I brought them up out of the land of Egypt even to this day” (11: 7). He tells Jeremiah not to try to intercede for them.  It is too late.  Outward observance alone is not enough: “Can vows and sacred meat turn away your misfortune from you?” (11:15). Jeremiah then learns that people from his own city, Anathoth, are out to kill him, so that no one will listen to his message.



1 Corinthians 14:1-25 - Prophecy is preferable to “tongues” in Paul’s estimation. Tongues or “glossolalia” is an emotionally-driven vocalization of sounds that was common in the early church and still very central to many Christian believers - Pentacostals: if you have never seen it practiced, check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbQBajYnEc]. I say “emotionally-driven” instead of “spiritual” as Paul calls it. I confess it is just my “take” on it, having never experienced it. Paul believed that prophecy was important because it edified and built up the church. He thought of prophecy as an “intellectual” gift.  It is best, Paul says, to have a unity of spiritual and intellectual gifts.  The personal, emotionally satisfying gift is not as good as the gift exercised for the building up of the community. Tongues are more a sign to those outside the faith, like miracles. 

We are asked to exercise our MINDS as well as our SPIRITS in God’s service. Paul seems to say even for the unbeliever, the gift of understanding is to be preferred, for the unbeliever will have his spiritual condition addressed and not come away thinking believers are crazy.

It is interesting here too to read this passage in light of what Paul says about the cross in 1 Corinthians 1:18-20, which many use as a justification for anti-intellectualism in the Church: “For the message about Christ’s death on the cross is nonsense to those who are being lost; but for us who are being saved it is God’s power. The scripture says, ‘I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and set aside the understanding of the scholars.’ So then, where does that leave the wise? Or the scholars? Or the skillful debaters of this world? God has shown that this world’s wisdom is foolishness!” Here he seems to be saying that the intellectual gift is not one that will necessarily lead one to truth, so he isn’t completely dismissing “spiritual” or more emotional ways of comprehending the gospel. I think he is encouraging a balance.

Paul says here, “[For] if I pray in a tongue, my spirit is at prayer but my mind is unproductive.  So what is to be done? I will pray with the spirit, but I will also pray with the mind.  I will sing praise with the spirit, but I will also sing praise with the mind. . I give thanks to God that I speak in tongues more than any of you, but in the church I would rather speak five words with my mind, so as to instruct others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue” (14:14-19).

No comments:

Post a Comment