Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Daily Bible Reading: Psalms 128-134 and Matthew 18:21-3518:21-

Sticking to a fairly demanding schedule of scripture readings can seem a bit challenging. I am trying to stick to a schedule that has worked for me over the years since I discovered it. It was first published in 1952 and is published by the Liturgical Press of St. John's Abbey in Collegeville, Minnesota. I am not a scripture literalist, but I have found over the years that the advice given by the "cloud of witnesses" that have gone before us - from the earliest years to the present day - is true: that a close knowledge and meditation on the biblical narrative is very nourishing for the spiritual life. One of the "draws" of Quakerism to me over my whole life has been the sense that the "theology" of Friends provides a way of seeing our daily lives, our daily steps in faith as a way of "consecrating" our lives. In the Catholic Church, the idea of consecration has typically been the province of the "religious" - those who dedicate their lives wholly to the spiritual. They have always been around from the earliest years of Christianity, but over the years, came to be seen mostly as those who do not marry, who do not involve themselves in the secular world on a day to day basis. But I am involved in all the affairs of human life - marriage, children, grandchildren, work, politics, etc. Yet I still seek a way of making my life "consecrated" to Christ. Consecration is defined as a formal dedication of one's life to a divine purpose. Quaker worship and Quaker practice is a way I have found helps me to do this.

Most of the people who have chosen the consecrated life have developed a "rule" that helps them further the practical sense of achieving that purpose. After nearly 30 years, I am still working on the rule I need to adopt. I do not have a neat and tidy set of habits, but the scripture reading is probably the one thing that has been a constant with me - fairly constant, not perfectly constant. I hope it helps others as it has helped me. But it can be a lot to fit into the day. I am finding that it helps to break it down - reading the Old Testament readings at night and taking a few notes on them, reflecting on what I find meaningful in it. Then in the morning, I read the New Testament reading. But the notes I post here are from both. With all of this in mind, here is the post for today - January 10, 2012:

Psalm 128 – “Happy are those who obey the Lord, who live by his commands” (128:1). You will work and your needs will be met; you will be prosperous and happy. Your wife will give you children and “your children will be like young olive trees around your table”

Psalm 129 – The story of Israel’s persecutions. They have cut deep but the Lord has freed them from slavery. May all Zion’s enemies be defeated and may they not prosper at all.

Psalm 130 – “From the depths of my despair I call to you, Lord” (1). Hear my cry, please. Our sins are endless but you are a forgiving God and we are in awe of you. I wait in hope that the Lord will respond to my cry. Trust in God. His love is constant.

Psalm 131 – I have turned away from my pride. “Instead, I am content and at peace. As a child lies quietly in its mother’s arms, so my heart is quiet within me.”

Psalm 132 – Do not forget David and all he endured, all he promised and did the “provide a place for the Lord” (132:5). In Bethlehem they learned of the “Covenant Box” [the Ark of the Covenant]. It was found in the “fields of Jearim.” I read that this psalm is called a “song of ascent” because it was read or recited as people went up the hill to the Temple at Jerusalem. It is about David’s devotion to getting the Ark installed in the Temple. Though he himself was not permitted to build the Temple, his son Solomon fulfilled the promise and hope of David. “The Lord has chosen Zion; he want to make it his home: ‘This is where I will live forever; this is where I want to rule” (132:13-14).

Psalm 133 – This psalm celebrates the wonders of peace – God’s people living in eternal harmony.

Psalm 134 – Raise your hands in praise of God – everyone who serves him in his Temple. Raise your hands in prayer.

Matthew 18:21-35 - Peter asks how many times he should be willing to forgive a member of the church who sins against him—seven times? Jesus says, “’No, not seven times, . . .but seventy times seven’” (18:22). Jesus compares the kingdom of God with an earthly kingdom where the king deals with people who owe him money in a generous way: one man who owes the king 10,000 talents is brought to him, and when he tells the king he cannot pay and begs the king to be patient with him, the king forgives him the debt. But then this same man goes out and deals with a man who owes HIM money in a ruthless way – having him thrown into prison. When the king hears of this, he becomes furious and says “’You worthless slave! . . . I forgave you the whole amount you owed me, just because you asked me to. You should have had mercy on your fellow servant, just as I had mercy on you’” (18:33). Jesus says, “’That is how my Father in heaven will treat every one of you unless you forgive your brother form your heart.’” (18:35).

No comments:

Post a Comment