Sunday, January 8, 2012

Daily Reading: Psalm 119:89 through 176 and Matthew 17

Psalm 119:89-176 - The word of the Lord, His faithfulness, His law - while never experienced without sufferings and doubts - are the most precious things the psalmist - thought by many to have been King David - has in his life. God is our teacher, and "how sweet is the taste" of all He imparts to us. Again, as I said yesterday, this psalm sounds to me as if it were really written by a king or political leader who wants so badly to be faithful, obedient and appreciative of God, but who is also surrounded by temptations - of power, of worldliness and paranoia: "Powerful people attack me unjustly, but I respect your law. How happy I am because of your promises. . ." (119:161-162).

I can so identify. Even in my simple day to day life, I get the greatest pleasure and feeling of meaningfulness when I feel God's presence, but as hard as I try, as much will power as I bring to the task, I can never be completely without ego, without impatience, without judgment. I can never be wholly what I think God wants me to be. "Give me life, so that I may praise you; may your instructions help me. I wander about like a lost sheep; so come and look for me, your servant because I have not neglected your laws" (119:175-176).

Matthew 17 - Jesus leads disciples Peter, James and John up a high mountain, and while they are there, Jesus seems to undergo a complete change of appearance. His face shines like the sun and his clothes are dazzling white. The disciples experience the presence of Moses and Elijah talking with Jesus. Of course, it is the ever eager Peter who rushes to say something, offering to make three tents for them. From a cloud over Jesus, the three disciples hear a voice saying, "This is my own dear Son, with whom I am pleased - listen to him!" (17:5). This event in Jesus' life is referred to as the "transfiguration" - or the complete change in how he is seen, a vision of his spiritual reality. Jesus doesn't want them to speak of what they have seen and heard. When they ask Jesus about why the teachers of the Law always say Elijah must come before the Messiah, Jesus says he has come in the person of John the Baptist.

The chapter moves on to the healing of a boy who is epileptic and when his disciples ask him why they couldn't heal him - drive the demon out - Jesus tells them it is because they do not have enough faith. All they need is faith the size of a mustard see, but they don't even have that. They are very sad when Jesus tells them he is going to be killed, even when he reassures them he will be brought to life again after three days.

Then there is the little anecdote about Jesus paying the Temple tax and finding the coin in the first fish they take from the lake.

In all these stories, Jesus is clearly being seen by his disciples as other-worldly and trying to prepare them for his coming death and resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment